The Parish of Milnthorpe with Arnside not only covers these two small towns, but also the villages of Beetham, Burton, Holme, Heversham and Storth.
The first chapel in Milnthorpe was the Old Malt Kin (now converted to a private house), which was converted to be a chapel in 1947 and continued to serve as a chapel until 1970. In 1970, a modern church was built in Haverflatts Lane to serve the expanding community. It is dedicated to Christ the King. A parish hall was added to it in 2007.
Christ the King, Milnthorpe History
Milnthorpe's first Mass Centre began in 1935 and moved from place to place until it occupied the Old Malt Kiln, behind the present Presbytery, from 1946. On the 22nd November 1970 the present church was opened, the gift of two parishioners who had already from time to time helped to keep in good condition the "Old Church"
Of particular interest in the "new" church is a large stained glass window depicting the creation of the world, made by the monks of Buckfast Abbey and designed by Fr. Charles Norris, OSB.
A striking continuous 29 feet long ceramic tells the story of the Way of the Cross in one uninterrupted pictorial narrative, on the west wall of the church. Both this and the figure of Christ the King, on the entrance wall of the church, were designed and made by the famous Polish artist Adam Kossowski.
In 2008 an attractive stone built Parish Hall was added to the church, thanks to the generous gift of a parishioner.