OUR LADY OF LOURDES

The Arnside community is under the patronage of Our Lady of Lourdes. The first celebration of Mass in Arnside is recorded as being held in a private house in 1926 for a congregation of just seven people. Later in the same year a Roman Catholic Church was established at Pier Lane which had just been vacated by the Educational Institute. This continued to be used as a Mass Centre for over fifty years but it was often too small to accommodate those who wished to worship. In 1977 the Church was transferred to the present premises on Silverdale Road, which had started life as the first Arnside National School, and was dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes.

Our Lady of Lourdes, Arnside History

During the two centuries following the Reformation, Catholicism in the district was centred on Leighton Hall, subsequently expanding to the Parish of Yealand with the building of St. Mary's Church in 1852.

The first celebration of Mass in Arnside is recorded as being held in a private house in 1926 for a congregation of just seven people. Later in the same year a Roman Catholic Church was established at Pier Lane which had just been vacated by the Educational Institute. This continued to be used as a Mass Centre for over fifty years but it was often too small to accommodate those who wished to worship. In 1977 the Church was transferred to the present premises on Silverdale Road, which had started life as the first Arnside National School before being dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes.

<  |   TOP  |   >
Page
Menu

Our Lady of Lourdes: Silverdale Road, Arnside, LA5 0DX
Christ the King:15 Haverflatts Lane, Milnthorpe, LA7 7PS
St. Charles and St. Cuthbert:Kents Bank Road, Grange-over-Sands, LA11 7EY
Email: info@cathchurchgos.plus.com
Telephone: 015395 32731
Designed by A2A Internet | Login